Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Take a chill pill...

Scott told me to take a chill pill today. I live in a household full of testosterone, dirty fingernails, constant sounds of explosions, machine guns and cartoon characters, and an aversion to matching clothes. I have a right to be annoyed sometimes, right? It wasn't one big thing that caused me to throw my hands up in exasperation, just a series of minor incidents that added up to the straw that broke the camel's back.

1. I was in the bathroom. With the door shut. Nearly naked. The boys burst in. I have told them 1,278 times to KNOCK if the door is closed. Adam said that Zach pushed him. We all know that if you push on a closed door it does not open. One must actually turn the knob to open the door. A little privacy please?


2. We were going swimming at the indoor pool at the Y. "I can't find my swimsuit," the boys say. Scott found Zach's swimsuit (which I'm pretty sure was in his dresser drawer.) Adam's swimsuit was in plain sight on top of his dresser. "How am I supposed to know you bought me a new swimsuit?" he asks. "Um, because you were there when we picked it out, tried it on and bought it at Target?" Sheesh.


3. I went into the boys bathroom and yes, once again, the inability to flush.


4. Scott looks in the refrigerator. "Where is the _______ ?" OK, this did not happen today, but it did happen yesterday and is relevant. It is the main reason I say daily "Use your eyes." I am convinced that in addition to selective hearing, men also have selective seeing. Or women have magic eyes, I'm not sure which. You might have to MOVE something to find what you are looking for.


4. Once we locate swimsuits and towels, we must put our socks and shoes on. "Mom, where are my socks?" one asks. I sigh. "Let's think. Where might you find socks? Where have your socks been kept the last seven years of your life?"


That's when Scott told me to take a chill pill.


Are moms expected to never get annoyed, answer endless questions like "would you rather have spiders in your hair or be sick the rest of your life?", endure constant inappropriate bodily function noises that you make on your arm, and find library books, shoes, jackets, socks, shin guards, etc., all the while smiling like this is our favorite thing to do?


Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade my boys for anything (all three of them). And sometimes a little chill pill, or a glass of wine is just what the doctor ordered. Don't you think?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Excellent! I couldn't agree more. The genders are even over here at my house....well, maybe not actually since Jae is convinced she is a boy. I feel your pain girl. Can't wait to self medicate tomorrow night with a Margarita!

Susan said...

@Jennifer - and see? I feel better now. Just needed to vent.

Sherry said...

"Where have your socks been kept the last seven years of your life?" ROFL

craftytammie said...

hahaha! love it!