Thursday, July 8, 2010

Legos for Dummies

I seem to think I'm a relatively smart person. I know how to do "stuff" on computers and read a roadmap. So how is that I don't understand how to put together Legos?

I know what you're thinking. "They just snap together."

They do...but I don't know how the pieces WORK.

I played with Legos as a kid. In the box I had were big rectangle bricks, little rectangle bricks, square bricks, long bricks, a door, a couple of windows and four wheels. Maybe 100 pieces.

My boys have this:

With pieces like these:

Pulleys. Rods. L-shaped pipes. Things that look like a mechanic would use to fix a garage door.

"Play Legos with us," they said.

"OK, what are we building?"

"Cars. Or whatever you want to make."

Easy enough. Or so I thought.

"How do these wheels hook on to this?" I ask.

"You have to find one of these, and one of these, and then go like this."

"Mom, do you want a trailer? Find one of these pieces and then it hooks on like this so you can drag a trailer behind."

"Do you want this windshield? What about these lights and vents?"

This is the car I made. Actually Adam put the wheels on and Zach put the windshield and hood of the car on. So really all I did was snap a couple of bricks together and add headlights.

These are the boys' creations:

Do you think Amazon.com carries "Legos for Dummies?"

To see more Lego creations, visit Adam and Zach's Lego gallery. My favorites are House on Fire, Christmas Candle, and Blanky.

3 comments:

craftytammie said...

too funny! alex is just now getting into legos. they are crazy expensive. he got an erector kit for christmas, and i told him that mommies weren't good at building those - he'd have to get daddy to help. :)

nancy in ks said...

Finally someone writes what I've been thinking about these lego kits. Of course the 7 yr old can make anything - all by himself - and I just wanted to make an old fashioned house - like when I was a kid.

Susan said...

Tammie - we're going on about two years of Legos...it's still the most asked for item for birthday and Christmas.

Nancy - I usually make a house too, but the boys wouldn't let me this time.