Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Las Vegas

Scott, Lisa and I took a quick trip to Las Vegas over Veteran's Day weekend. Lisa flew into Wichita a few days early to hang out. We hoped on the 9:45 p.m. plane Friday night and landed in Las Vegas at 11 p.m. or so Vegas time ( 1 a.m. our time).

I've been to Vegas six or seven times. The first time in the early 80s with my family. We stayed at Circus Circus and went to a Wayne Newton show which boasted a new "laser light show." The only thing I remember about this trip was that my Dad won $22 at a slot machine and I thought we had "won big."

In 1994 I went with my college sorority. It was our senior sneak. A bunch of 21 year old college girls? Enough said. This was my friends and I outside the Excalibur hotel.


Scott and I went in 1996 right after we got engaged. Everyone thought we were going to get married, and my Dad even offered us a large sum of money if we got married by Elvis. We didn't. This is the only picture I could find where we weren't eating.


Scott and I have gone two more times, I think. Scott spent several weeks out there working, and I flew out for the long President's Day weekend. I'm not quite sure of the year, but the boys were pretty little...Zach maybe two and Adam was three? We also went for our 10th anniversary with some friends who were celebrating their 5th anniversary. That trip would have been in 2007.


After this trip, I feel I'm getting too old for the constant activity, crowds, food, drinks. people and general chaos of Las Vegas.

This trip we stayed in a renovated hotel called The Linqs. The rooms were nice, but the hotel was under construction, so it was a bit noisy.

We arrived in Vegas around 11 p.m., and sadly, went straight to bed.

The next morning? First things first. Starbucks.


We walked around the strip, visited the hotels and drank sparkling wine for breakfast...because hey, it's Vegas, baby!


We met Scott and Lisa's Uncle David and ate dinner at the top of the Stratosphere. Scott and Lisa rode one of the rides at the top. No thanks. There were people bungee jumping off the side of the hotel. I guess they weren't satisfied with their meal.

From the top of the Stratosphere during the day.


Same view at night.


We visited the Hoover Dam and took the tour that went inside the power plant and inside the Dam. You could feel the vibration of water underneath your feet, and could hear it too. There were big turbine things that moved the water.


Inside the dam, we walked down long tunnels.


There were signs warning that if you get claustrophobic, you shouldn't go on the tour. The tour guide pointed out where inspectors had written notes on the walls of the dam. There were certain places where a never ending hole was just covered by a crude looking grate. I didn't really like to look down.


Here's how you get out in case the elevators inside the dam stop working.



Looking at the dam.


This is the view from inside the dam.


We stopped in the Pawn Stars Pawn Shop. Pawn Stars is a Reality TV show that airs on the History channel. We watch sometimes with the boys. None of the "cast" was there that day, but we did get to look around.


We ate lots of great food. I mentioned the restaurant and bar at the top of the Stratosphere...we also ate a place call Fix inside the Bellagio Hotel. I had the best baked potato ever and the order of macaroni and cheese sticks was to die for.

We did a little bit of gambling. Lisa and I played slots. Scott stayed at the Poker table.

More random photos...

This is in the Bellagio. They had a whole area was designed with flowers. They have a huge staff of gardeners just for this area.


That yellow thing behind us? It's a hot air balloon made with flowers.


A cute one of Scott and Lisa.


When we left Las Vegas it was 79 degrees and sunny. We landed in Wichita with 40 mph wind and it was 30 degrees. And when you land in Wichita, you have to walk outside to the gate. #firstworldproblem

No comments: