Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring Break 2010: Day 7

Spring Break 2010: Day 1
Spring Break 2010: Day 2 & 3
Spring Break 2010: Day 4
Spring Break 2010: Day 5 & 6

Adam and Zach have been quite the helpers during this trip. If you've ever been skiing, you know that the actual skiing is NOT the hard part. Carrying all the gear is. Skis, poles, boots, helmets, goggles, ski pants, coats, gloves, hats.

Scott carried his skis and mine, plus both of his ski boots. I carried the boys' skis and boots, plus one of my boots. The boys wore their helmets and goggles. Adam was in charge of poles. Zach carried one of my boots. About halfway to the ski slopes Zach decided the boot was too heavy. So I carried the boot and he carried his skis. After a few steps that was too heavy too. So I ended up carrying both boys' skis and my pair of boots. Zach helped by not whining.


We have skied three FULL days. We leave the house before 8 am, and get back around 5 pm. The first two days the boys were in ski school from 9 am to 3 pm. On Thursday, we skied from 9 am to 4 pm, with only about a 45 minute break for lunch. That's a lot of skiing.


BeaverCreek saw 10 inches of new snow today. The powder was heavy, and if you weigh less than 50 pounds, it's really hard to plow through. It's a good thing Scott and I are decent skiers, because we ended up hauling the boys down the mountain. We think Adam's skis had no wax because he was going nowhere. Scott had to hold him up and ski down blues just to get some speed.

I skied with Zach's skis between my skis. Once we got speed, I would hold my poles horizontally in front of us so that he had something to hold onto. Then we'd hit a huge pile of snow and come to a dead stop. I had to push not only myself, but Zach too. About halfway down, Zach started crying because he was cold, wet, hungry and tired. He cried the whole rest of the way down.
It took us about an hour to get down the mountain. We met Scott and Adam at the bottom, rode the Gondola one time, and then called it a day.

We saw lots of other kids taken down by ski patrol. Note to self: Do not ski in 10 inches of fresh powder!

No comments: