Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pick your battles

I have an ongoing battle with my youngest child. His clothes. Here is what is wrong with the majority of the clothes in his closet.

Shirts
-rings on the sleeves make my arms hard to move
-buttons hurt
-squeezes my neck
-sleeve is too tight on my elbow
-sleeves are too long

Socks
-there's a hole
-there's a bump
-these socks fall down
-too tight
-too loose
-too scratchy
-this ridge squeezes my foot
-too thick

Pants

-too tight
-too loose
-too itchy
-too scratchy
-too pinchy
-too hard (stiff)
-go up and down when I walk/run/use stairs
-"go under" my feet (are too long)
-turn when I walk
-make a funny noise when I walk
-I don't like this zipper
-this snap is too hard to do
-there's holes
-feels funny when I sit down
-these pockets (cargo style) are heavy

Applies to any article of clothing:
-"this" (points somewhere on the item) hurts/feels funny
 
So I do what experts advise against: Give in and buy him clothes he will wear. I'd rather stand my ground on more important issues like doing chores, completing homework, limiting screen time, nutritious eating and personal hygiene.

Maybe I should start charging him a finder's fee when I find clothing that passes the "Zach test." Sounds eerily like the "Susie test," doesn't it? 

2 comments:

Hols said...

I gave up that battle last year with Camden. He only wants to wear "stretchy" clothes. This only includes sweats and underarmour-type shirts. Last year my 'rule' was that he had to wear jeans or pants twice a week. Those 2 days of drama, tears, and stomping were so not worth it! Now I just buy all his clothes at Target or Kohl's and say the heck with it! Funny, he is the same with food. Boston, however, will eat anything and wear anything I put on him.

Susan said...

We don't have THAT many issues with food (except fruit with brown spots). I don't have this issue with my oldest. He'll pretty much wear anything I tell him.